This Design-Build project involved the construction of approximately 13 miles of express lanes on 2 separate limited access facilities located in Miami-Dade County, Florida. Approximately 10 of those 13 miles of express lanes were constructed along SR 826 (Palmetto Expressway), while the remaining three miles of express lanes were constructed along SR 93 (I-75). On SR 826, one to two express lanes in each direction were provided beginning south of West Flagler Street, up to a point south of the NW 154th Street Bridge. On I-75, one express lane was provided in each direction from SR 826 to NW 170th Street. The improvements include widening both SR 826 and I-75, reconstruction on SR 826, new construction on the median of I-75, and an elevated direct express lane connection between SR 826 and I-75.
Structural improvements consist of:
- Total of 14 bridges consisting of 10 widenings and 4 new bridges including one direct express lanes connection flyover.
- The new flyover bridge is a continuous four-span (272 ft max. span) steel box girder bridge with two consecutive structural steel integral pier caps supported on single columns matching the aesthetics of the surrounding environment.
- The bridge widenings consisted mostly of single steel girder lines and required an innovative cross frame design to address girder stability during erection while accounting for differential deflections.
- The other three new bridges consisted of 2 span Florida-I beam bridges with piers founded on a spread footings and/or concrete piles.
- Construction of new MSE retaining walls with limited room for strap placement.
- 88 overhead sign structures with uprights located within limited right-of-way congested with utilities.
- Anchored steel sheet pile bulkhead along Peter’s Pike Canal with challenging soil conditions.
- 9590 LF of ground mounted sound barrier walls.
BCC was the Lead Designer for this project, and in addition to the roadway and structures design provided design services for new drainage, lighting, Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) and signage.