Some of the key projects performed under GEC A were:
- Milling and resurfacing project for SR 924 (Gratigny Parkway) from SR 826 (Palmetto Expressway) to east of NW 67th Avenue. Improvements consisted of milling and resurfacing the mainline, ramps, shoulders and gores, updating the guardrail connections to the beams, and upgrading signing and pavement markings. Tasks consisted of preparing the pavement design, typical section package, specifications, Temporary Traffic Control Plans (TTCP), Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) etc.
- SR 836 (Dolphin Expressway) Toll Plaza Reconstruction at NW 17th Avenue, BCC prepared the concept development, and 45% roadway plans for the RFP/Design Criteria Package preparation. The project consisted of the realignment and reconstruction of SR 836 in the eastbound direction for implementation of Open Road Tolling (ORT) at NW 17th Avenue. This project removed the existing toll plaza and provided full speed ORT lanes in the eastbound and westbound direction and included reconstruction of both the eastbound mainline and NW 17th Avenue ramp.
- SR 924/Gratigny Parkway East Extension to I-95 PD&E Study. The project evaluated at-grade as well as elevated options with an interchange to I-95 to serve movements in all directions. BCC served as the Owner’s Representative and GEC Project Manager overseeing the PD&E Team.
- SR 836/Dolphin Expressway Eastbound Auxiliary Lane provided a widening of the SR 836 mainline for approximately 1.3 miles (NW 57th Avenue to NW 42nd Avenue). Responsibilities included: concept development and plans, Design Criteria and RFP Package preparation (procured as Design-Build), and full permitting with South Florida Water Management District (SFWMD) and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACOE). Responsibilities included MDX Design Project Manager and lead reviewer during the design and construction.
- SR 836 Widening from NW 57th Avenue to NW 17th Avenue Traffic study consisted of evaluating different alternatives to increase capacity along SR 836/Dolphin Expressway by adding a through lane in each direction (for a total of four lanes per direction) from NW 57th Avenue to NW 17th Avenue. The improvements also include modifications to the interchanges of SR 836/Dolphin Expressway at NW 42nd Avenue, NW 27th Avenue, and NW 17th Avenue. In addition to the capacity improvements, there were operational improvements targeted at the NW 42nd Avenue interchange with the intent of eliminating the left lane exit and entrance ramps. BCC served as lead traffic operations and engineer of record for modeling.
Under GEC B, BCC was responsible for several task work orders including:
- the preparation of repair details due to heavy corrosion damage to the structural steel girders and bearings on the SR 836 bridges over the Miami River.
- Concept Report and preliminary structural plans for the MDX 83622 project (SR 836 from NW 57th Avenue to NW 45th Avenue).
- Structural plans review for several MDX projects
- Responded to several vehicular impacts to existing bridges, providing immediate design recommendations.
Miami-Dade Expressway Authority (MDX) General Engineering Consultant (GEC)
The GEC for MDX oversees its multi-million-dollar, five-year work program. The MDX system features 5 major expressways in Miami-Dade County for which the GEC provides planning, project development, design and construction management services.
Miami-Dade Expressway Authority / HNTB Corp. (GEC A) and EAC Consulting, Inc. (GEC B)
Miami-Dade County, Florida