After the collapse of the pedestrian bridge in 2018, FDOT and FIU have entrusted BCC Engineering to perform the redesign of this well needed, high-profile urban infrastructure project that will provide a safe connection between FIU Campus and City of Sweetwater with a Signature Pedestrian Bridge over SW 8th Street and Tamiami Canal, Pedestrian Plazas at the North and South bridge landings, as well as complete street improvements along SW 109th Avenue from SW 7th Terrace to SW 6th Street, reducing the existing 3 traffic lanes to 2 traffic lanes. The project also includes the design of elevator towers and stairs at the FIU Campus pedestrian plaza (South Plaza) and at the North Plaza on the City of Sweetwater. The enhancements will include upgraded sidewalks, decorative paving materials, street signage, decorative LED street lighting, landscape and hardscape enhancements that create various shaded areas with decorative street furnishings.
Design features of this complex, cable-stayed “Signature” bridge structure project include:
- Two-span continuous structural steel box girder superstructure with a maximum span length of 193’ over a major principal arterial
- Innovative hybrid design of 150-ft tall dual pylon with redundant load carrying capacity and integral concrete cross beam for improved aesthetics.
- Removal and reconstruction of the existing foundation to maintain original bridge alignment
- Vibration analysis and design consideration.
- Complex drainage system aesthetically integrated within structure and piers.
- Design considerations that facilitate construction through use of tried-and-true design concepts and ensure ease of maintainability for years to come.
- Extensive coordination with stakeholders.
- Holistic design that provides aesthetic form and sustainable function, creating a landmark, connecting FIU campus to the City of Sweetwater.
- Aesthetic lighting of bridge and plazas that enhance the user’s experience.
- Gathering space for both pedestrians and bicyclists with functional accommodations such as a decorative canopy, balconies over the canal, decorative furnishings and planters, wifi, outlets, etc.
- Plazas including elevator towers, with glass on at least two sides of the cab for safety/visibility, and stairs to access the bridge.
BCC is the Lead Designer for this project providing services including structures, roadway, TCP, drainage, signing and pavement marking, signalization, lighting, ITS, miscellaneous structures, elevator towers/building design, civil/utility design and 3D Modeling.